Optimizing the safety Ride-Hailing experience and elaborate tech-oriented concepts.

Overview

An emerging technologically B2C ride-hailing app

T3 Go, backed by 3 major automakers, is an emerging technologically B2C ride-hailing application and officially launched on 07.2019 that is focusing on ’Safe, Efficiency, high-quality’. Until 12.2020, it has 3.5 million active users and covered 6 cities. Invested by the largest tech companies Alibaba and Tencent, T3 Go aims to compete with the main competitors by its strong smart mobility ecosystem.

I joined T3 Go on 12.2019 - 02.2020 and partnered with the marketing team working forward to improve the safety experience. I was responsible for competitor analysis, user journey, survey & interview, wireframe, and Hifi.

Duration
Role
Team
Dec 2019 - Feb 2020
User Experience Designer
1 CMO. I PM. 1 Researcher. 1 Visual Designer. 2 User Experience Designer(Xiao and me)
Download T3Go

Context

Registration rate is lower than expected.

Compared to the ambitions of being the most reliable ride-hailing brand, the fact is the download rate is lower than expected. Our team needs to figure out what blocks people from the new branding and visualize the technological innovation to improve the rider’s safety experience by user interaction design.

Goals

Design Goal

Business Goal

Challenge

Understand user’s response and narrow down scope

Safety is a big issue. T3 Go has lots of technological innovations to support the safe ride-hailing experience. How to improve the safety experience in the design layer and narrow down the problem to specific users' pain points would be a challenge.

- Design Process-

Target Audience

Designing for professional female ridership
-- gender is not the boundary of safety

From 2014 to 2018, more than 50 cases were reported as sexual harassment, rape, even intentional homicide in China. Mobile application reliability and safety issues increased rapidly.

Under this chaotic background, our team is aiming to build a solid protecting shield for the professional female ridership relying on the unique smart mobility ecosystem.

How might we improve the female ridership safety experience during the trip?

Market Opportunity

What makes the new branding standing out among DiDi, CaoCao, and other ride-hailing apps?

T3 Go’s market position is innovation and reliability. Compared to other car-hailing apps, T3 offers a more instant safety system. By deploying a self-developed V.D.R system, T3 connects the surveillance platform and the vehicle driving environment.

User Research

What’s the factors will influence people’s choice?

Ming led xiao and me to send out a survey to learn about people’s attitudes and opinions of using ride-sharing services. We collected 100+ responses from users in the first-tier cities, tested the existing app with 4 participants, and interviewed 12+ users which give us lots of surprising insights. Based on the response and insights, we get to know more about user’s needs and pain points during the trip experience.

Pain Points

What stops users touch a new ride-hailing branding?

“I couldn’t tell the difference between T3 and others”
“I do not know where the in-car SOS button is”
“Why the driver’s information is only an illustration profile?”
“I use WeChat to share real location and keep in touch with my boyfriend.”

Heuristic Evaluation

Understanding T3 Go’s strengths, competitors, opportunities, and problems

Strengths.

- Full-time drivers.
- Self-operated vehicles.
- In-car SOS buttons.
- V.D.R support.

Weaknesses.

- Low brand awareness.
- Technological advantages are not obvious.

Opportunities.

- Highlight and visualize strengths.
- Improve interaction to solve rider’s pain points.
- Safety tips during the night trips.

Threats.

- Third-party apps like WeChat.
- Other apps stress the safety problem as well.

User Story

Understanding how the user experience the product and visualize pain points

Lili’s journey with T3 Go

Solutions

Highlight and visualize T3 Go's strengths during the trip.

Driver’s quality and night ride-hailing experience are the crucial roles for people to use the share-hailing app. Although riders are well-protected with T3 Go’s full-time drivers and self-operated vehicles, riders barely feel the difference with other apps. Thus, in this version, we will put focus on how to highlight and visualize T3 Go's strengths and improve the experience during the trip.

Xiao mainly responsible for real-time route share and me mainly for driver profile and safety tips.

- Interaction Design -

Solutions

01. Complete driver profile

Problems: 01.Cartoon profile makes user uncomfortable 02. User can not tell the strength of full-time drivers.
Solutions: Add real profile photo and drivers. Review other passengers feedback. Check drivers background information.

How do I approach it?

02. Add safety tips

Problems: After riders taking on the car, the application has no any pop up or notification to showcase where the in-car SOS buttons are.
Solutions: Visualize where the button is and add instroductions.

Team discussion - dark mode or day mode?

- Conclusion -

Takeaways

01. Closer to users, closer to the solution.

This is the first time I get touch with users in the role of user experience designer and gladly I could work seamlessly with ming and shu qi. We did lots of user research to narrow down the scope and synthesis insights. The closer to user's voice, the closer to solutions.

02. My adding value in business sense.

I hold my opinion that branding education is an important point to tell users who you are and how you will benefit them. This is the first time we set the target audience as professional female ridership. After that, T3 Go set it as branding value and put it further. In 2021, T3 Go holds a seminar with hundreds of influential professional females to show the determination of being the solid shield for them.

03. Big issue in small solution.

Safety is a big issue. T3 Go has lots of technological innovations to support the safe ride-hailing experience. How to solve the safety problem in an APP is a big challenge for us. The important common sense in our team is that we do not only tell users how to protect themselves but lead them to engage in the telematics world where safety should not be pain point anymore.